These pests get their name from being the most common fly found around homes. Adult House flies can grow to one-quarter of an inch long and usually live between 15 and 25 days. House flies taste with their feet, which are 10 million times more sensitive to sugar than the human tongue!
Some facts about flies:-
- Flies do not have teeth or a stinger.
- Their mouths absorb food like a sponge.
- They can only eat liquids but they can turn many solid foods into a liquid through spitting or vomiting on it.
- A female housefly can lay up to 600 eggs in her short lifetime.
- Most flies live an average of 21 days and take on various shapes throughout their short lives.
- Baby flies are called larvae but they are also known as maggots.
Size: 1/4" Shape: Small, oval Color: Dark grey Legs: 6 Wings: Yes Antenna: Yes Common Name: House fly Kingdom: Animalia Phylum: Arthropoda Class: Insecta Order: Diptera Family: Muscidae Species: Musca domestica